Friday, February 11, 2005

Malcolm Gladwell

Baby: I just got back from listening to Malcolm Gladwell speak about his book Blink on the campus of SLU. I've really enjoyed both Blink and The Tipping Point. After reading the books you can actually see everyday things in a different light. That's pretty powerful. I went to the event by myself because Jen had made a date to hang out with 2 of her nieces this evening. She's really good that way. After the BABY comes we'll have less time to do things like we did this evening. Our entire world will change. But only temporarily. Just for the next 20 or so years.

Music: While Malcolm was speaking I was wondering what kind of music he likes. He's a little older than me, he's Canadian, but he lives in NY and was wearing a track jacket to a public speaking engagement. I think he likes music that is more electronic than what I listen to. Probably some British stuff like The Streets. I don't wonder what kind of music everyone likes. Most people I could care less that they are a huge fan of 3 Doors Down or Evanescence. But some people are harder to figure out. I know I'm pretty snobby about music but there are people who like a totally different kind of music than me that I still really respect. I guess it would have to be different but even more obscure than what I like for me to respect them. If you are the world's foremost collector of North Korean electronic folk music recorded over Russian made telephones then more power to you. Just don't expect me to like it too.

Rehab: Tweaked my back today. This is the first injury sustained on this project. I'm sleeping on a heating pad tonight and hoping it doesn't slow me down. The back staircase has been removed. I was going to just take down the walls but I went hog wild and pulled it all down. [Sorry Mom and Dad. They'll be plenty of other "fun" projects for you.] Now the room at the top and bottom of where the stairs used to be are square. It's much easier to look at a square room and get an idea of what you can do with it. I've decided to put a laundry room downstairs off the kitchen with a chute going from the master bath to the laundry room. I was going to put the laundry facilities in the basement but it's not a very pleasant basement and I have the room.

A possible heating and cooling guy might be coming by tomorrow. I have a lot of questions for him. On the phone he sounded exactly like the kind of contractor I'm looking for. Now I just need to settle on a plumber and electrician just like him.

Blogging: I was looking around Blogger and noticed that a lot of the people are Libra's. I'm a Libra so they certainly stand out but I did see more than any other sign. I wonder if that says something about Libras. I also noticed a lot of people that made 2 entries over a year ago and have never come back. This is my 3rd entry so I hope that I have gotten over some kind of hurdle. Peace out girl scout.

No comments: