Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Sealing away the elements

Rehab: A new roof is going on my latest project today! The old roof has been removed and the decking is in better shape than anyone thought. Just the back portion of the roof where all the water has been pouring in is in bad shape. This is good timing. Monday I met with my carpenter friend, Steve, about doing my framing. It's not the kind of work that he loves to do but he has been very agreeable about doing it for me. I didn't want to start putting new material in the place until the place was sealed up from the elements though.

Urban Husbandry: I've been doing a lot of reading about urban planning and city renewal. It started when I finally broke down and picked up a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. Since then my reading list has included The Living City and Cities Back from the Edge both by Roberta Brandes Gratz and Comeback Cities by Paul S. Grogan and Tony Proscio. I hope to one day be able to put this knowledge to use. I'd love to become a developer that has influence on an area. I've got some locations in mind and some plans sketched out but it remains a pipe dream. At least for now.

No comments: